Described by Downbeat Magazine as “an exquisite singer-songwriter”, Joanna’s music conveys a beauty of a many-coloured sort that speaks to straight to the human condition. Her songs and “sublime voice” (The Telegraph) reveal personal truths about love, loss, adventure, home and hope. World Music Report described her 2018 album as “quintessential heart-music by a vocalist who seems to have connected with the deepest recesses of her being emerging into brightness again with songs of haunting beauty.”
Her original song “Satellite” is featured in the movie Pressure, starring Danny Huston, and she also wrote lyrics for the featured soundtrack song “Summer Rain”. Other credits include:
All the Beautiful Things (Sundance Film Festival, 2014), Desert Dancer (Dir. Richard Raymond. MovieScore Media), Dear Wendy (by Lars von Trier. MovieScore Media) and Summer in February, starring Dan Stevens (MovieScore Media).
She is also the featured vocalist on the national ad campaign of Hillshire Farm. She also scored her own documentary The Great Song Cycle, Down Under.
Alongside Joanna’s musical career she is a passionate educator and takes her songwriting and teaching skills to outreach programs, schools and colleges.
Her masterclass is designed for composers, songwriters and vocalists, and will be fully interactive. Come prepared to sing, discuss, and share your music. There will also be an assignment to be completed between day 1+2.
Topics will include:
- songwriting for picture
- finding the right vocal sound for your score
- vocal technique and understanding the instrument of the voice
- session singing, sight singing and studio etiquette.
- a look at how song and vocal style has evolved in cinema over the last 100 years, from Snow White to La La Land.
- finding your own unique voice as a composer.
- the art of songwriting, and storytelling through lyric, melody and harmony.
- How to survive and thrive as a professional composer.
- And more…